The Benefits of a WordPress CMS
If you’ve been looking at updating your website, chances are that you’ve heard the term “Wordpress”. WordPress is a self hosted CMS, meaning you can install it on virtually any website. It originally started as a blogging tool (wordpress.com) and has evolved into a powerful content management system (wordpress.org). So powerful in fact, that over 60% of the websites that utilize a CMS use WordPress.
Content Management System: web application designed to allow users to edit and manage a website without coding
Note: WordPress.com is a blogging service that allows you to quickly set up a blog but is not as flexible as the version downloaded from WordPress.org and installed on your web host. When we reference WordPress, we mean the self-hosted .org version.
Why are all these sites using WordPress? And more importantly, why should you be considering it?
- It’s free. The WordPress “backend” is completely open-source and can be downloaded and installed on almost any website.
- It’s versatile. WordPress can be a base for a blog, a corporate site, an online store, whatever you can imagine, you can probably use WordPress as a base.
- It’s easy to use. WordPress has a built in WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editor that makes updating your website like editing a word document and requires no technical or coding knowledge.
- It’s customizable. Not only are there thousands of free and premium themes already available, companies like us can create fully custom themes that are tailored for you and your business.
- It’s common. If you have any issues with your site, there are hundreds of sites and forums available to help figure out what is going on and how to fix it.
Interested in developing your next site using WordPress as your CMS? Give us a call!